Join a Live Webinar
How UCO is using their LMS to boost student employabilityWhen the University of Central Oklahoma (UCO) was choosing a new LMS, they knew it needed to be easy to use—but also flexible enough to support their specific goals. With Brightspace, they’ve been able to develop a new way to track learning activities that happen outside the classroom. It’s called the Student Transformative Learning Record (STLR). Now, their students can share the non-academic learning experiences and skills they've gained with graduate schools and potential employers.
- Walk through UCO's decision-making process for choosing a new LMS
- Find out how they used Brightspace to create a new learning tool (STLR)
- See the types of experiential learning that are tracked at UCO
- Learn how STLR is affecting outcomes for students and the institution
Time 2:00pm ET
Audience: Higher Education
Badges for Students and Teachers at HWDSB Using Brightspace AwardsBadges are often used to award recognition to students or participants who have demonstrated mastery of a soft-skill that isn't linked to a curriculum expectation, but still considered a valuable skill that is worth identifying and rewarding. Brightspace now offers the ability to create and award Mozilla Backpack badges for learners. The Hamilton-Wentworth District School board is using badges to recognize skills attained by both staff and students within the organization for a variety of purposes. During this webinar we will explore the philosophy behind badging, how Brightspace facilitates badging within the Learning Environment and how the HWDSB is using badging to recognize and motivate learners within the organization.
Time 3:00pm ET
Audience: K-12, Higher Education
Presenter(s): Paul Hatala, Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board
Competency-Based Education for the Next Generation of NursesThe increase in demand for registered nurses is expected to outpace most other occupations over the next decade. That means it’s more important than ever for schools to speed up the path to getting a quality nursing education. Nightingale College is one great example. They’ve embraced competency-based education (CBE) to help prepare highly skilled nurses for the workforce in as little as 16 months.
With the help of Brightspace, the college has made it easier for students to achieve competencies and for instructors to guide them as they move through the curriculum at an accelerated pace.
We’ll be co-hosting an upcoming webinar with Nightingale College to talk about:
- Why CBE is an ideal model for their “nontraditional” nursing students
- How they support self-paced learning and use tools to track student progress
- What the initial program results are, including feedback from students and faculty
- Why they chose Brightspace as their technology platform for CBE course delivery
Time 1:00pm ET
Presenter(s): Aaron Nelson, Manager, Learning Resources Eric Corrington, Manager, Instructional Design and Technology
It Takes Two to Understand the Student ViewThis webinar will provide a foundation for understanding the student experience of a course in the Brightspace Learning Environment. With this understanding, Instructors can then adapt their courses to best engage and meet the needs of their learners. The presenters will discuss the myths and reality of student impersonation, Role Switching and preview functions. Content views, Assessment Tools, and User Progress will also be explored.
- To recall the difference between impersonating, role switch and preview functions.
- To recognize the learner perspective in the Content tool.
- To become one with the learners.
- To employ effective practices in the Assessment tool.
- To identify effective practices for the User Progress tool.
Audience: Clients, K-12, Higher Education, Enterprise
Host(s): Brightspace Community
Presenter(s): Kassia Kukurudza & Anthony Gouveia, D2L Trainers